Better Abroad Check-In
STEP 2: CONSIDER 10 QUESTIONS (CHECK-IN)
You have a few examples of what we believe Better Abroad is and what Better Abroad is not…but where does your organization fall?
Take a few moments to consider these following questions and ‘check in’ where your organization’s stand on a sampling of Better Abroad issues:
- Do your faculty receive training about intercultural competency and experiential education, integrating them into program design? Or perhaps they partner with another faculty member with an expertise in this area?
- Are students primarily participating in activities and spending time with students that are predominantly from their home country?
- Are programs designed with the impact on local environments/communities in mind?
- Do students receive cultural pre-departure information from experts that extends beyond health, safety, and logistical concerns to include linguistic, historical, current events and values?
- Is facilitated reflection time built into the program, as well as pre and post-program?
- Is dialogue encouraged to go beyond stereotyping or broad generalizations?
- Are students primarily passive consumers of culture (sightseers and shoppers) or active learners/participants in a dialogue with the local community?
- Are students encouraged and given opportunities for experiential learning about local lifestyles (participate or observe working conditions, transportation, eating habits, etc.)?
- Do students have periods of limited access to internet/phones and is project work not wholly based on technology?
- Are students encouraged to enroll in a re-entry course or to join a re-entry-focused group that explores reflection, action and global citizenship?
Take a moment to reflect on these questions. Were some of your answers less than a confident YES? If this is the case, you’re in need of Better Abroad. (Don’t feel badly about it, many of us are!)
STEP 3: You’ve checked in with where your organization stands on being Better Abroad. It is now time to click HERE to select resources based on your organization’s needs.